body#layout #main, body#layout #sidebar { padding: 0; } -->

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Who Needs Materialistic Crap!?

I have a sister who is rather materialistic. She seems to be more concerned with how her house looks/how she looks/how her kids look than how much quality time she spends with the kids. I personally think that her priorities are seriously out of order.

Sure, materialistic things are nice to have. But to they fulfill your life? Give you incentive to work hard? Maybe for some people. Not me. If you don't make commitments to people, and work hard to make those relationships good and strong life just is not complete. Relationships are WAY more important than a house full of things. I think you can tell a persons worth by the people they surround themselves with. When I meet someone and they are sincere and kind those attributes are so much more appealing than a large bank account and a whole bunch of trinkets.

I've grown up modestly, my family never had a lot of money, we got by but we were my no means rich. We got the necessities and that's all we needed. Fancy toys and clothes don't make you a better person.

Last year for Christmas my sister bought a ridiculous amount of toys for her children. Some of those toys are still in packages. Now to me this is just wasteful. It would be better to say buy each child a toy they really want or something that has some educational value to it and then clothes and such. Then buy a large family gift, like a game that can be enjoyed by the whole family and allows for family time. Spending time with your family is an invaluable gift, one I wish wouldn't be as squandered as it has been lately, especially for me.

Lately my one sister seems to think that if we aren't spending every spare second by her side we're going against. Yet every time she calls we are there by her side, only to be yelled and screamed at for no apparent reason. Take for example today: it was my nephew's 2nd birthday party and my mom and I went over to my sisters house to help prepare dinner. I also agreed to go help her pick up pumpkins with her for the front of the house (because god forbid you don't have pumpkins right this second!?). Anyways it somehow ended up with my sister yelling at us for spending time with the kids instead of helping her. Whatever we left there was anger, blah!

Soooo I have gone on quite the rant. But the moral of this post is that I could care less about materialistic things. I would rather be the poorest person with a close family and close friends whom I love and care about and see as much as possible than the richest person in the world who had a huge house with everything my heart could desire in it. Life is too short for nonsense, if you keep planning and continue focusing on THINGS life will pass you by, make time for friends, family and loved ones. Worry about the rest of it later.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
My Contemplations by http://mylifescontemplations.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.