body#layout #main, body#layout #sidebar { padding: 0; } -->

Monday, October 27, 2008

What's important?

I'm so conflicted right now, my personal family issues are taking over my mind. I cannot concentrate on school and I am torn between what I am expected to do. I had 3 midterms last week, and I didn't do anywhere near enough studying as I should have and I am worried that my marks are going to reflect that. I've already got one mark back and it was a 50!! I've never got that low of mark, EVER!

But do these mark REALLY matter? I mean does this mark actually dictate how intelligent I am, and does this class test my skills that I will need once I begin my career? No i don't think so.

So why am I so upset about this mark? Because I have been socialized to believe that marks reflect your intelligence and dictate how far you will go. I know I am an intelligent person, and I want to believe that I can achieve all my goals, but school has that possibility of holding me back, and I am terrified because I know I need school to do anything.

UGH yet when I am faced with all these family problems, I am able to see how much more important human suffering is over stupid marks and tests. I honestly wish the only thing I had to worry about was school, and then perhaps I could prove that I am smart. But alas with all the family problems I am unable to focus and I'm hurting all the time.....

I just don't know what I am supposed to do anymore....

6 comments:

PinkAvocado said...

families can be hard to deal with.. and sometimes we feel like we get stormed with problems, several - all at once.
i know how you feel, but don't let it get to you!
and marks, marks only mattered in highschool, when they tortured you to get 90's and once you graduated, you realized that this may start all over again. but remember, in post-secondary, none of these marks ultimately matter. don't worry yourself out, you passsed! and you're a smart girl. : ) just try to take it easy!
xx

Girl Making it Through said...

awww thx! I really do appreciate all the positive feedback you give me! It has def made a difference!! xo

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, I got to your blog because it was on a friend's blogroll. And I read this post, and some of your other recent posts. I felt obliged to say a few things.

Marks do matter. A lot. Your university grades will matter for the rest of your life. They will have an impact on your ability to get jobs. They will have an impact on your ability to get further education, should you desire it; now or 20 years from now. They matter forever.

However, the world is understanding. You're going through a tremendously difficult time. Most of your peers aren't. Professors and your university will understand this. But they can only understand if they know. Make an appointment with your health and counselling service today. That way your unique circumstances will be taken into account and you won't be disadvantaged in the future because of the horrible circumstances you are in today.

And making sure your professors and university are aware of your circumstances isn't a way out. It just means that they can make informed decisions, which is what they want to do. But they can only do if you tell them. Also, don't let yourself feel weak for using the resources at your disposal to help you get through this. You're strong already for being able to deal with this as well as you have.

Good luck.

Girl Making it Through said...

Thx anonymous stranger for your comment. I was going through a dramatic moment when I wrote the last post. I do know what's important to me and I have made steps to help better my situation. Thanx for your suggestion though.

Unknown said...

What's totally important?
This, dear.
Without IT, whoops...
Check-this-out...

Yes, earthling, Im an NDE
(thus, my ethereal nomenclature) -
so I actually know God exists:
He rewards those who HONOR n RESPECT
Him and strive to follow His Laws;
for those who wanna know what
Seventh-Heaven holds for your
indelible, magnificent soul whom
God has so carefully crafted -
and if you're not too concerned
with WWIII and N. Korea,
you better follow us:

Find-out what RCIA means and join.
trustNjesus.
ALWAYS.
God bless your indelible soul.

Unknown said...

'Above all, preserve an INTENSE love for
each other for love covers many a sin'
-1 Peter 4:8

Q: is sex allowed in Seventh-Heaven?
A: does the HUGE universe need people?
Q: is sex allowed in Hellfire?
A: if you get past the awwwFULL stench
for eternity, the heat, the thirst, the torment,
the Fuggly creatures, Ynot?

Make Your Choice -SAW

trustNjesus, child.
ALWAYS.
God bless your indelible soul.

 
Creative Commons License
My Contemplations by http://mylifescontemplations.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.