body#layout #main, body#layout #sidebar { padding: 0; } -->

Monday, September 29, 2008

Science Fiction = Not 4 Me!!

So I am taking this speculative fiction course that focuses on science fiction (when I enrolled in it I was not aware of its focus). Anyways I have to take it as it's one of the required courses since I am minoring in English.





Anyways I am reading this book We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. And apparently it is "the most influential science fiction novel of the 20th century".


Well I care to disagree. The book's setting is way in our future and everyone lives in this walled in world of glass. Everyone wears a uniform and they are identified by letters and numerics (ie. I-330, D-503). They follow the "Table of Hours" where every hour of every day has a prescribed meaning. Their ideal (according to their "One State") is when nothing happens anymore. AKA every action must be pre-conceived and planned. Now to me this seems way too out there and I just cannot understand how this can be influential when it is suggesting that it is better to be without a soul and without an imagination. Life without imagination, choice, and soul seems dull and boring. But maybe I am mis-interpreting it all together but from now on I'm going to stick to the classics!

But don't go by me! Give it a read yourself, because don't get me wrong it is interesting!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
My Contemplations by http://mylifescontemplations.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.